Job Title: Communications Officer
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with occasional travel other areas of KRI.
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: Twelve months
Post Date: 18 March 2018
Start Date: ASAP
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to promote the Kurdistan Region’s (KRI) social, educational and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of the residents of the region. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating psychotherapy and case management services with a range of vocational, educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the Communications Officer
The Communications Officer will manage the organization’s website, design public affairs materials, manage media relations, and facilitate social media communications. Working closely with other team members, generate and design interesting and attractive content for use across a range of social media including the website, Facebook, Twitter, organizational newsletter, and printed and email promotional materials.
Management of the organization’s website:
- Working closely with other team members, generate and design interesting, up-to-date, and attractive content that represents SEED’s work
- Post and upload material to the website
Design public affairs materials to promote SEEDs work:
- Develop fliers, brochures, guest packages, powerpoints
- Develop marketing and fundraising materials
- Develop and send a quarterly newsletter and other email communications
- Develop branding materials for fundraising and other events
- Develop/maintain Branding and Communications Guide for staff
- Create data graphics to report on program performance.
Promote SEED through social media:
- Develop and share content about SEED through Facebook and Twitter at least several times per week
- Manage SEED’s contact database and develop quarterly newsletters
- Provide guidance about how to present program information for all social media.
Contribute to Communications and Messaging:
- Create information, messages, talking points and materials about SEED’s work
- Ensure SEED Staff know and understand SEED’s work
- Seek opportunities for SEED management and staff to speak on behalf of SEED at conferences and other venue
- Contribute to speeches, talking points, and other messaging documents
- Communicate with local and international media to promote SEED’s work to field media inquiries and pitch stories
- Maintain press lists and contacts
- Prepare press statements
- Excellent spoken and written English required, native English speaker preferred; Kurdish and/or Arabic, a plus.
- Website management experience and excellent computer skills.
- Graphic design and formatting experience.
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar role, preferably for an NGO.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Interest in development and humanitarian programs.
How to Apply:
Please e-mail the following to email@example.com using “Communications Officer” and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter
- three references with complete contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.