Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with regular travel to Erbil and other project sites in KRI
Job Title: Community Coordinator
Type of position: Employment contract, full time or part time
Length of Contract: 12 months
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating case management and psychotherapy with a range of psychosocial support activities to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs at the Center for MHPSS at Koya University to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the Community Coordinator:
We are seeking to hire a Community Coordinator to work in our new program dedicated to improving access to and quality of MHPSS services for vulnerable and conflict-affected Iraqis, including survivors of torture, trafficking, GBV, those who are at risk of honor killing and LGBT individuals, people of minority religious and ethnic groups. Under this program, the Community Coordinator will conduct outreach and facilitate PSS activities in various locations throughout Dohuk governorate. The Community Coordinator will also coordinate a team of community mobilizers and other service providers conducting PSS activities, and may be asked to contribute to developing PSS interventions and associated materials, and providing training and supervision to staff in the implementation of PSS activities. The successful candidates must be compassionate, confident, diligent, trustworthy, and resourceful; experience working with internally displaced people, refugees, and/or survivors of SGBV is a plus. The Community Coordinator must be willing and interested to work with people of different religious, ethnic, cultural, educational, and socio-economic backgrounds.
We are seeking a full or part-time candidate to start immediately in Duhok, KRI. This position reports directly to the Program Manager.
- Work as part of a mobile team alongside Case Managers and Psychologists serving IDPs in camp and non-camp settings, primarily in Dohuk governor
- Coordinate with community leaders and camp management to ensure access to target communities.
- Provide outreach to community members and identify families and individuals in need of psychosocial support services that fit within SEED’s target population.
- Mobilize clients and community members into groups for PSS activities, as assigned by supervisor.
- Facilitate PSS activities, including awareness-raising/education sessions and support groups focused on topics such as mental health, GBV prevention, parenting, life-skills, etc.
- Coordinate a team of community mobilizers and other service providers conducting PSS activities.
- As requested by SEED’s technical unit, contribute to development of PSS intervention curricula and associated materials.
- As requested, provide training and supervision to staff in the implementation of PSS activities.
- Collect monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data associated with PSS activities; compile and report on M&E data collected by other service providers. This includes ensuring taking attendance of participants and keeping hard/ soft copies of attendance sheets.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of clients at all times.
- Perform other duties as necessary, as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience as a community coordinator, mobilizer, social worker, or case manager, preferably with IDPs or refugees, in an NGO.
- Knowledge of psychosocial support activities, community outreach and mobilization, case management, and referral pathways.
- Experience working with survivors of SGBV and other populations experiencing a lack of social protection and social inequalities.
- University degree in social work, psychology or related field, a plus.
- Counseling experience and/or experience providing psychological first aid a plus.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- High standard of spoken and written Kurdish, Arabic, and English.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environment.
- Serve as a positive role model and SEED representative at all times.
- Treat all people with respect regardless of age, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, disability status, marital status and ethnicity.
- Work collaboratively with all colleagues.
- Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude.
Please e-mail the following in one PDF to email@example.com using “Community Coordinator“ and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter
- Three references with complete contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.