Job Title: Interpreter/Translator
Location: Erbil with frequent travel to other areas in the KRI
Type of position: Full time
Length of Contract: One year
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to promote the Kurdistan Region’s (KRI) social, educational and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of the residents of the region. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating psychotherapy and case management services with a range of vocational, educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the Interpreter/Translator
We are seeking to hire a qualified, experienced, and dynamic individual to provide written and oral interpretation and translation services in Arabic, English, and Kurdish. Candidate will largely be focused on assisting SEED’s training programs. The successful candidate will have excellent command of all three languages Written translations will be done in an office setting and oral translations will be done largely in a classroom setting in SEED’s Center for Mental Health and Psychosocial Support at Koya University, and sometimes in Dohuk or other locations.
We are seeking the candidate to start in September 2018 in Erbil on a 12-month contract.
- Interpret and translate written and oral communications for formal letters, PR materials, social media posts, and other communications pieces
- Translate program documents (operational and technical), as assigned
- Provide documents in correct grammatical format as a well-expressed final version of the translated text, usually as a word-processed document
- Provide oral translation/interpretation support for training courses, meetings, and events
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials
- Provide administrative (archiving, filing, printing, scanning etc.) support to the Program Officers, and others as assigned
- Excellent verbal and writing language abilities in English, Kurdish, and Arabic
- At least three years relevant experience; international NGO or interpretation in a training/classroom setting, a plus
- Experience working with simultaneous interpretation equipment
- Knowledge of technical terms within the field of mental health and psychosocial support services (MHPSS) or humanitarian work, a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or other relevant area
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work under pressure
- Willingness to travel regularly to Koya University.
To apply for this position, please submit cover letter and CV as one PDF document with your name as the title of the document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.