Job Title: Lawyer (National)
Type of Contract: Service contract- As per needs
Length of Contract: Six months
Start Date: ASAP
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to promote the Kurdistan Region’s (KRI) social, educational and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of the residents of the region. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating psychotherapy and case management services with a range of vocational, educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the Lawyer:
We are seeking to hire a national lawyer to give support to external administrative work and to SEED team in obtaining working and residency permits, visas, as well as all official contacts, procedures, according to local law and SEED Foundation procedures, in order to ensure the smooth running of SEED activities.
The successful candidate will be an experienced lawyer with prior experience in similar role. We are looking for a compassionate, confident and dynamic person who is able to perform the job independently with minimal supervision.
- Together with the HR & Admin Officer, ensure that all SEED staff has applied and obtained on time any visa, residency, travel or working permits in the mission country according to needs, and keep information on legal, administrative procedures
- Maintain the HR& Admin department informed about ongoing processes, specific situations, changes in the procedures related to visas, residency permits, etc.
- Ensures that SEED is in compliance to all the requirements of NGO directorate. (Opening of SEED office, banks account, social security and Income tax office registrations etc.)
- Inform HR& Admin department about any possible risks or problems and issues encountered.
- Know all the procedures that SEED needs to follow in order to apply and obtain visa, residency permits from any country and assist the mission in following these procedures, in cooperation with the HR & Admin Officer in HQ.
- Establish and maintain professional contacts with relevant authorities and ministries
- Accompany all SEED staff to the meetings regarding visas and residency process with relevant authorities.
- Keep a complete and updated detailed list of all useful administration and authorities contacts with names, telephones, addresses and other relevant details.
- Ensure that no illegal money is paid to any authorities or any individual.
- Keep all documentation and files updated, properly filed and easily accessible for the internal users.
- Perform other relevant duties
- Degree in Iraqi law.
- At least three years of experience in practicing law.
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems and devise innovative legal arguments.
- Highly motivated and able to exercise initiative.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Excellent written and oral English, Arabic and Kurdish language skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
Please e-mail the following to email@example.com using “Lawyer” and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter
- three references with complete contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.