Position: Operations Director (International Candidates)
Location: Erbil with occasional travel to other areas of Kurdistan Region of Iraq
Type of position: Employment contract, Full time.
Length of Contract: Twelve months
Date Posted: 10 May, 2018
Start Date: ASAP
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a locally-registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to promote the Kurdistan Region’s (KRI) social, educational, and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of the residents of the region. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating psychotherapy and case management services with a range of vocational, educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of Operations Director
SEED Foundation is currently seeking a Director of Operations (DO) for its headquarters (HQ) in Erbil. The DO has overall operations responsibility for SEED programs and staff. As a senior representative of SEED, the DO ensures that risks are minimized, organizational policies, processes, and procedures are in place, improved and adhered to, and all programs are compliant with donor policies, rules, and regulations. The DO will have familiarity with US, EU, and other grant and foreign assistance regulations and requirements. The DO manages administrative staff and their functions and leads long-term organizational planning. The DO is responsible for management of all administration systems and processes and overall daily office operations: including office management and facilities; technology, software, communications and IT; contracts, logistics, procurement, and including inventory management; management of SEED’s administrative staff; human resources and employee services; grant administration, compliance, and reporting; financial management and development of organizational and program budgets.
The ideal candidate is a driven and passionate professional looking to work alongside an inspiring, dynamic team of professionals. The candidate will have exceptional management and administrative skills, and embrace a collaborative, team approach. This person is eager to contribute to innovative projects that support some of the most vulnerable people in Kurdistan.
Essential Job Functions:
General Management and Administration:
- Manages daily office operations
- Develops and oversees standard operating procedures.
- Coordinate requirements and administration among all of SEED’s offices and project sites.
- Oversees network administration and evaluates information systems, software and technology requirements. Verify that information technology policies and procedures are documented, disseminated and consistently applied across the country program at all sites.
Strategic and operational planning:
- Supports SEED senior management in preparation of annual strategic plans, operational work plans, staffing plans, budgets, and other plans as required;
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational strategy.
- Ensures appropriate consultation in the development of operational plans and budgets.
- Develops and ensures consistent implementation of SEED standard operating procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines, security protocols and, where applicable, recommend modifications;
Financial management and administration
- Oversees preparation and submission of monthly financial statements, expense reports, bank reconciliations and fund transfer requests;
- Oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual expenditures and forecast estimates for programs;
- Supports the preparation and delivery of budgets for operations, and various grant programming.
- Oversees and verifies all financial reporting including quarterly reports to various donors.
Grant Management and Compliance
- Responsible for transparent management of any grants and compliance with donor and SEED regulations.
- Provides oversight for the monitoring of the financial performance of SEED and its sub-grantees and sets reporting frameworks.
- Ensures support to fund recipients and identifies capacity needs in finance/risk management/operations.
- Provides operational guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables;
- Assumes responsibility for administrative, operational and financial support required for the effective implementation of work plans on time, within budget, meeting donor and stakeholder expectations and contractually compliant;
- Supports senior management in maintaining an up-to-date log of issues and risks; works to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks; and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate
Procurement and Logistics
- Ensuring that purchasing is in accordance with SEED and donors policies and procedures.
- Ensuring that SEED is getting the best value for money in procurements.
- Verify that Administration and purchasing policies and procedures are documented, disseminated and consistently applied across the program.
- Oversees contracts and grants management: develops and implements contracts and grants management system.
- Oversees SEED’s transportation/driver system ensuring that all transportation needs are met in the most cost-effective way.
Human Resource/Administration management
- Manage the operations team (including administrative, procurement, finance, and HR staff);
- Ensure that policies contained in the HR and Admin manuals are followed and create other policies and procedures as required.
- Oversees the organization’s human resources requirements; including employee on-boarding, managing and administering health and other employee benefits, maintaining personnel records, monitoring insurance coverage, and ensuring that personnel policies are up-to-date.
- Ensure that SEED has a robust employee performance evaluation system and employs a retention strategy for its staff.
- Leads, guides, mentors, and manages the performance of direct reports and ensures appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of operations staff;
- Leads HR management including but not limited to recruitment and contracting, performance management, disciplinary and grievance proceedings.
- Establishes a training, learning, and development program for all staff.
- Helps to implement SEED’s Self-Care plan for staff.
- Ensure that SEED is compliant with all necessary tax, social security and other local requirements and oversee its payroll systems.
Safety & Security
- Deliver effective oversight of safety and security management systems and processes, including security plans and SOPs, are in place and known by staff, including for SEED’s mobile services team.
- Support country program crisis management in the event of critical incidents.
- Make sure security requirements are factored into programming and required security assessments are conducted for the program locations.
- Establish risk management protocol regarding employee services and security
- A university degree in project management, finance, accounting, human resources management, or other related discipline;
- At least 7 years’ relevant experience in program and financial management in similar sized programs (over 5 Million USD);
- At least 3 years expertise in leading operations for an NGO including grants management, accounting and auditing, monitoring of grant compliance and management and the establishment of internal controls; writing of manuals, policies, and processes; monitoring and training of staff
- Strong familiarity of USG and European donor regulations and reporting requirements;
- Previous experience working in Iraq and Kurdistan region preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively and negotiate persuasively with high level decision makers as well as the ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines;
- Excellent written and spoken English and ability to communicate across technical disciplines and non-technical audience.
- Willingness to live in and travel within KRI.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to international human rights and gender equality.
- Proven management leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Flexibility and ability to work on multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize tasks to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to use considerable judgment, initiative and independence
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Competitive salary and benefits.
Please e-mail the following to email@example.com using “Operations Director” and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter outlining interest and relevant expertise
- three references with complete contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.