Job Title: Psychosocial Support (PSS) Technical Advisor
Location: Dohuk, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to Erbil and occasional travel to other project sites across KRI
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: Twelve months
Date Posted: 8 November, 2018
Start Date: ASAP
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI), whose mission is to promote the Region’s social, educational and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of residents. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating case management and mental health services with a range of educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local case managers, psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the PSS Technical Advisor:
As a key member of SEED’s MHPSS Technical Unit, the PSS Technical Advisor will provide technical expertise and leadership to support SEED’s psychosocial support and comprehensive case management services for vulnerable and conflict-affected Iraqis including survivors of torture, trafficking and gender-based violence (GBV), persons with disabilities, members of minority religious and ethnic communities, and LGBTI+ individuals. The PSS Technical Advisor will develop guidance and protocols, identify capacity building needs and devise and deliver training accordingly, and provide supervision to SEED’s case managers and community mobilizers to ensure high standards of service delivery. The PSS Technical Advisor will also act as a resource for input to all existing programs and in designing new programs. The PSS Technical Advisor will report to the Director of the MHPSS Technical Unit and work collaboratively with Program Directors and Program Managers across SEED. Although the PSS Technical Advisor will be based in Dohuk, he/she will be expected to travel frequently to Erbil for supervision of Erbil-based staff and consultation with Erbil-based members of the Technical Unit.
Technical Leadership and Service Delivery Approach (30%)
- Provide technical guidance to case managers and PSS service providers
- Provide input into case management and PSS program design and implementation
- Support development of protection and policy approaches
- Develop clear guidance and standard consistent with international best practice
- Develop case management tools, protocols, processes and policies
- Support the development of psychosocial, psychoeducation and community engagement activities
- Identify, share and adapt resources and materials
- Provide input on safe and ethical data collection and storage
- Contribute to SEED’s staff care plan
Capacity Building and Supervision of Case Managers and Community Mobilisers (40%)
- Evaluate staff competencies and identify capacity building needs
- Develop and deliver, or organize, training accordingly
- Provide intensive supervision on cases, including field-based supervision and individual and group case conferences
- Contribute to staff development plans and performance appraisals
Monitoring and Evaluation (15%)
- Support program M&E, including development of tools, to ensure that M&E systems provide adequate feedback
- Make recommendations for program development and course correction
- Support quality reporting
Coordination and Organizational Representation (15%)
- Provide technical guidance to support SEED’s role as co-Chair of the MHPSS Working Group in Dohuk
- Represent SEED in additional Cluster and Working Group meetings, with KRG and with donors
- Develop strategic partnerships and work closely with partners
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Provide training for external audiences, as requested, including the Center for MHPSS
- Provide content and input on communications materials including website, promotional materials, and social media, and ensure it complies with SEED’s storytelling policy
- Master’s degree in social work, psychology, or similar field.
- Three years+ experience as a social worker, psychologist, or in similar field.
- Two years+ overseeing case management and PSS Programming in international settings; Iraq experience preferred.
- Experience in providing supervision and oversight to PSS service providers.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- Strong ability to work independently
- High standard of spoken and written English and Arabic and/or Kurdish.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Salary, benefits and allowances dependent on skills and qualifications.
Please create one PDF document containing the following items and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using “PSS Technical Advisor” and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail:
- Cover letter
- Three references with complete contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.