Job Title: Senior Accountant/Auditor– Internal Audit Services
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with occasional travel to KRI areas
Type of position: Service contract, full time
Length of Contract: 3-4 Months
Date Posted: October 23rd, 2018
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to promote the Kurdistan Region’s (KRI) social, educational and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of the residents of the region. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating psychotherapy and case management services with a range of vocational, educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the Auditor:
SEED is seeking a Senior Accountant/Auditor to work in SEED’s office in Erbil with occasional travel to other sites within KRI. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for review of paperwork provided with cash and non-cash auditor requests, all cash payments, and donor requirements for the 2017 calendar year and for ensuring full compliance of payment requests with SEED Foundation procedures.
- Responsible for the reviewing disbursement of cash in accordance with SEED Foundation’s procedures and take corrective measures as appropriate.
- Review the accuracy of the records for the disbursement of cash and ensure that the cashbook was kept up to date for all cash payments and recommend for correction of errors if found.
- Review the transactions documentations and allocations, codes and appropriation, identify missing documentation and amend as appropriate.
- Ensure adequate documentations maintained.
- Review documentations prepared for month closures and bank reconciliations as well as others necessary documents and amend accordingly.
- Review all paperwork, procedures and internal control followed, report with a recommendation.
- Ensure adequate referencing and filing of paperwork.
- Review the Implementation of the applicable SEED Foundation, donor and country laws regulations for that year.
- Ensure that all budgets are coded and set up in QuickBooks for that year consistent with the documentation provided.
- Review the assets registers documentations, report any missing or false reporting.
- Create financial folders as required.
- Perform other duties as necessary, as assigned by supervisor.
- Ensure cash flow is smooth and covers all activities.
- Review and approve the cash requests received from each site.
- Ensure weekly cash counts are received from each site.
- Assist with budget development and ensure there is a participative approach in the budgeting process which involves all relevant staff.
- Maintain and implement good working knowledge of all project budgets and applicable SEED Foundation, donor and country law regulations.
- Ensure that all budgets are coded and setup in QuickBooks.
- Review budgets monthly to ensure that costs have been allocated correctly.
- Provide monthly reports to management on budget spend and facilitate budget forecasting and review with relevant staff.
- Provide training to budget holders to ensure that budgets are managed correctly.
- Ensure that the Fixed Asset Register is maintained and contains all relevant financial information.
- Ensure that internal controls are reviewed monthly and a report produced for management as part of monthly accounts review.
- Ensure controls over payroll exist as per SEED Foundation’s procedures.
- Ensure compliance with SEED foundation’s Donation in Kind procedures.
- Visit all offices to ensure full compliance with internal controls.
- Provide training to all staff involved in finance activities and to non-finance staff on finance procedures.
- Participate in the testing, interviewing and recruitment of new finance staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, or related subject
- CPA, or CMA preferred
- Good communicator, both in English, Kurdish and Arabic
- NGO Experience preferred.
- Previous Audit experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and E-mail.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work in teams with diversity of background, skills, multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
Please e-mail the following in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Senior Accountant/Auditor “and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter
- three references with complete contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.