Job Title: GBV Technical Advisor
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with regular travel to other areas of KRI.
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Expatriate Compensation Package: includes relocation expenses and housing and local transportation allowances
About SEED Foundation: SEED is a locally registered NGO in Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED provides comprehensive services, integrating mental health, case management, legal and protection services, with psychosocial support activities to protect and empower survivors, and improve individual, family, and community well-being. SEED supports women, men, boys, and girls who are survivors of violence and other rights abuses, including survivors of conflict, gender-based violence (GBV), trafficking, torture, human rights violations, including internally displaced Iraqis, refugees, foreign citizens, and members of the host community. Through our Center for MHPSS, SEED strengthens skills of service providers and government actors through education, training and capacity building to better support vulnerable individuals and communities. SEED promotes policy, institutional, regulatory, practice, and social change to strengthen human rights, protections, and services for vulnerable individuals and groups. SEED combats human trafficking through services for survivors and those at risk including shelter protection; strengthen institutional protections through technical assistance, training, public awareness, and advocacy. SEED’s work reflects international best practices and expertise combined with local experience.
Role of the GBV Technical Advisor:
The GBV Technical Advisor will provide technical expertise and leadership for SEED’s GBV programming. The GBV Technical Advisor will lead the development of effective, evidence-based PSS interventions in line with needs, develop guidance and protocols, identify capacity building needs and devise and deliver training accordingly. The GBV Technical Advisor will train case service providers on GBV prevention and response initiatives and provide supervision to SEED’s service delivery team to ensure high standards of service delivery. The GBV Technical Advisor will also design and deliver training to service providers from other NGOs and government agencies, including on strengthening services and protections for LGBTQI+ individuals. The GBV Technical Advisor will also act as a resource for input to all existing programs and in designing new programs. The GBV Technical Advisor will report to the Director of the MHPSS Technical Unit and will work closely with management. The GBV Technical Advisor is required to travel within Erbil, Sulaimania and Dohuk on a frequent basis.
Technical Leadership and Service Delivery Approach (30%)
- In collaboration with other members of SEED’s MHPSS Technical Unit, program directors, managers, and senior management, develop GBV prevention and response strategies and design interventions
- With other team members, ensure high-quality service delivery for survivors of GBV with diverse experiences and needs, including LGBTQI+ individuals
- Ensure implementation of GBV activities is consistent with SEED objectives and strategies, adjusting as appropriate
- Develop clear guidelines and standards consistent with international best practice
- Develop tools, protocols, processes, and policies
- Identify, share and adapt resources and materials
- Provide input on safe and ethical data collection and storage
- Audit all records
Capacity Building and Supervision of Case Managers and Community Mobilizers (35%)
- Evaluate staff competencies and identify capacity building needs
- Develop and deliver, or organize, trainings for SEED staff, staff from other organizations, and government agencies
- Provide supervision, including field-based, individual and group
- Contribute to staff development plans and performance appraisals
Monitoring and Evaluation (20%)
- Ensure all GBV activities are properly monitored, documented, evaluated, and reported on.
- Support program M&E, including development of tools, to ensure that M&E systems provide adequate feedback on PSS interventions
- Make recommendations for program development and course correction
- Contribute to quality reporting
Coordination and Organizational Representation (15%)
- Represent SEED in cluster and working group meetings, with KRG and with donors
- Develop strategic partnerships and work closely with partners
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Provide training for external audiences, as requested, including SEED’s Center for MHPSS
- Provide content and input on communications materials including website, promotional materials, and social media, and ensure it complies with SEED’s storytelling policy.
- Masters Degree in social work, psychology, law, human rights, or other related field.
- At least five years of international development and/or humanitarian experience in GBV programming.
- At least three years of experience working in a senior technical role.
- Strong people and project management skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Experience implementing large donor-funded international development and/or humanitarian assistance programs.
- Experience in Iraq and/or Kurdistan Region a plus.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and team-building skills.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- High standard of spoken and written English, with Arabic and/or Kurdish a plus.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using “GBV Technical Advisor” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.