Job Title: Human Rights Legal and Policy Expert
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with regular travel to other areas of KRI.
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Local compensation package
About SEED Foundation: SEED is a locally registered NGO in Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED provides comprehensive services, integrating mental health, case management, legal and protection services, with psychosocial support activities to protect and empower survivors, and improve individual, family, and community well-being. SEED supports women, men, boys, and girls who are survivors of violence and other rights abuses, including survivors of conflict, gender-based violence (GBV), trafficking, torture, human rights violations, including internally displaced Iraqis, refugees, foreign citizens, and members of the host community. Through our Center for MHPSS, SEED strengthens skills of service providers and government actors through education, training and capacity building to better support vulnerable individuals and communities. SEED promotes policy, institutional, regulatory, practice, and social change to strengthen human rights, protections, and services for vulnerable individuals and groups. SEED combats human trafficking through services for survivors and those at risk including shelter protection; strengthens institutional protections through technical assistance, training, public awareness, and advocacy. SEED’s work reflects international best practices and expertise combined with local experience.
Role of the Human Rights Legal and Policy Expert:
The Senior Human Rights Legal and Policy Expert will conduct research on human rights issues, provide analysis and recommendations, design and deliver training, assist in the development of other capacity building efforts, support advocacy initiatives, and conduct organizational representation. This person should know Kurdistan and government laws regulations, Policies, and practice, provide technical guidance for reform.
- Advise senior management and technical unit on legal issues relevant to activities.
- Advise senior management and technical unit on immediate and longer-term policy and advocacy objectives.
- Conduct primary and desk-based research and analysis on human rights issues.
- Analyze Iraqi and Kurdish laws, regulations, policies, and practices, and provide recommendations and technical guidance for reform.
- Draft reports, memos, papers and opinion editorials.
- Play a key role in planning and conducting advocacy.
- Develop strategic partnerships and work closely with partners.
- Deliver training to SEED lawyers and other service providers, other NGO service providers, and government agencies.
- Advising SEED service providers on legal issues relevant to their clients.
- Maintain strong, effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including government, NGOs, donors, and UN agencies.
- Represent SEED in cluster and working group meetings, with KRG and with donors.
- Provide content and input on communications materials including website, promotional materials, and social media, and ensure it complies with SEED’s storytelling policy.
- Degree in law, human rights or closely related field; master’s degree a plus.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, law or other closely related field within Iraq.
- At least three years of NGO experience.
- Demonstrated analytical and writing abilities, including substantial report-writing experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- High standard of spoken and written English, Arabic and Kurdish.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Human Rights Legal and Policy Expert” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.