Job Title: Lawyer
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to KRI areas
Type of position: Full-time Employment Contract
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Local Compensation Package
About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking in persons (TIP) including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, after care services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the Lawyer: The lawyer will advocate with local authorities to ensure that the rights of Refugees/IDPs and host community members are upheld and protected as well as provide assistance in the provision of case management services to identified victims of trafficking and/or provision of community education on the topic of trafficking as needed. The lawyer represents Refugees/IDPs in cases related to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence. Promote knowledge and awareness of Refugees’/IDPs’ legal rights; including registration procedures, birth documentation and access to justice.
- The lawyer should be aware of Combating Trafficking in Person Law, Foreign Residency Law, Iraqi Labor Law and all the regulations for foreign workers to support them when they are trafficked or under risk of trafficking.
- Be able to coordinate/negotiate with multiple parties (Employer, Recruiting agencies, Governmental Directorates, Individual employers and Consulates and Embassies of the clients), in order to help the victims of trafficking.
- Manage client relationships and expectations
- Interview clients
- Explain options to clients and obtain instructions
- Set case plans
- Advise clients
- Build partnerships with coalition members and providers; work to connect clients to available resources, including various local, International law enforcement agencies. With their assistance, develop safety plans/protocols for clients, staff and the office.
- Ensure acute client needs are met in a timely and culturally appropriate manner.
- Complete individualized initial assessment and safety planning, orientation to services, support, referral, and advocacy services by assessing and evaluating clients’ distinct needs.
- Assist clients with referrals and access to appropriate resources including shelter, physical, mental health services, and legal services.
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of SEED Foundation.
- Draft representations on behalf of clients
- Prepare client statements
- Interview witnesses
- Prepare witness statements
- Instruct expert witnesses and expert reports
- Conduct legal research
- Draft briefs
- Thoroughly prepare for and represent clients in court
- Draft appeals where necessary
- Liaise closely with other professionals including social workers and doctors to obtain all required information and ensure clients’ needs are comprehensively met
- Identify particularly complex cases, and work with the Program Manager to create a plan to deal with those cases
- Attend meetings and represent SEED Foundation as required
- Review local laws and make recommendations for amendment to align with human rights
- Legal representation of SEED in the Kurdistan region of Iraq
- Draft policies, by-laws, and regulations as required
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law.
- At least three years of experience in practicing law.
- Treat all people with respect regardless of age, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, disability status, marital status, and ethnicity.
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems and devise innovative legal arguments.
- Highly motivated and able to exercise initiative.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Excellent written and oral English, Arabic and Kurdish language skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Serve as a positive role model and SEED ambassador at all times.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com using “Lawyer” as the subject of your email.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.