Job Title: MHPSS Advisor
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to project sites across Kurdistan
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Expatriate Compensation Package includes relocation expenses and housing and local transportation allowances
About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking, including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, aftercare services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the MHPSS Advisor: The MHPSS Advisor will take a lead role in coordinating the Duhok MHPSS Sub-Working Group and strengthening coordination among the involved actors. The MHPSS Advisor will also lead the SEED Staff Wellbeing Program activities in Duhok and organize resources and activities to support the physical and emotional wellbeing of staff. The MHPSS Advisor will also act as a resource for input to all existing programs and in designing new programs. The Advisor will represent other technical TU issues in Duhok and take on other initiatives. The MHPSS Advisor will report to the Director of the Technical Unit and will work closely with management, including program managers across SEED’s portfolio.
Coordination and Strategic Leadership of the Duhok MHPSS Sub-Working Group (50%)
- Ensure an effective, coordinated and focused response to the MHPSS needs of populations of concerns, aiming to bridge emergency and development programming.
- Provide ongoing strategic direction, introducing policies and training initiatives, driving processes and seeking for opportunities for SEED to be a valuable resource for other actors in the MHPSS field.
- Promote adherence to standards of best practice and develop relevant guidelines or tools for the MHPSS sector when needed.
- Strengthen the safe and ethical collation, analysis and transparent sharing of data and information pertaining to MHPSS needs.
- Inform efforts and planning by highlighting key MHPSS issues, collectively representing the Working Group interests and perspectives, and advocating for MHPSS needs and priorities.
- Take initiatives and move policies and training forward to improve quality standards being upheld by actors working in the MHPSS sector, maintaining equity and coverage.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of joint initiatives, including training and capacity building activities.
- Coordinate programs, activities and plans with various MHPSS actors through holding regular Working Group meetings as a platform to exchange information, updates and disseminate work plans and progress.
- Coordinate with the Working Group sector leads to ensure that MHPSS priorities are represented in balanced and equitable programming responses.
- Ensure that the MHPSS response is guided by relevant national and international policies and standards, including reference to the National Policy for Mental Health.
- Provide technical guidance to support SEED’s role as co-Chair of the MHPSS Working Group in Dohuk
- Represent SEED in additional Cluster and Working Group meetings, with KRG and with donors
- Develop strategic partnerships and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders
Support the implementation of the SEED Staff Wellbeing Program (40%)
- Provide guidance on a comprehensive staff wellbeing program that supports the emotional and physical health of SEED staff across all locations
- Support on the creating the annual SEED staff care plan and ensuring that it is implemented throughout the year across locations
- Ensure the implementation of wellbeing activities for all SEED staff in accordance with the SEED Staff Wellbeing Program
- Develop support and self-care strategies for staff
- Strengthen organizational and structural supports for staff wellbeing
Other initiatives (10%)
- Provide inputs on the development of training materials, policies, protocols and tools
- Provide input into program design and implementation
- Identify, share, and adapt resources and materials
- Provide inputs and or develop communications, media and public awareness content
- Other initiatives assigned by the Technical Unit
- Master’s degree in psychology, clinical social work, or other mental health fields
- Two years of MHPSS Programming experience in international settings; Iraq experience preferred.
- Experience working in a cluster coordination or co-lead role, preferably in a complex emergency setting, is desirable
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Experience leading and designing staff wellbeing programs.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- Strong ability to work independently.
- High standard of spoken and written English; Arabic and/or Kurdish desirable.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Salary, benefits, and allowances dependent on skills and qualifications.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using “MHPSS Advisor” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.