Job Title: MHPSS Instructor
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to other areas in the KRI and Iraq
Type of position: Employment contract, Full time.
Length of Contract: One Year with possibility to renew based on availability of funding and performance
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to promote the Kurdistan Region’s (KRI) social, educational and economic development, human rights, and to address the humanitarian needs of the residents of the region. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives, including the displaced, survivors of gender based violence (GBV), trafficking, members of religious and ethnic minority groups, and other vulnerable people. SEED takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, integrating psychotherapy and case management services with a range of vocational, educational and recreational activities, to reduce symptoms of trauma, empower and protect survivors, and improve individual and family well-being. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. Finally, SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the MHPSS Assistant Instructor/Supervisor
The Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services (MHPSS) Instructor is a clinical/counseling psychologist, social worker, or other experienced MHPSS service provider who is compassionate, confident, dynamic and independent with extensive experience providing direct MHPSS services to people who have experienced violence, conflict, torture, and/or other forms of trauma as well as significant training and supervision experience. The MHPSS Instructor will develop curriculum, teach MHPSS courses, and provide supervision to MHPSS service providers.
Psychosocial Support Services (PSS) Training Program
- Collaborate with the Program Manager for Education and Training and other MHPSS Instructors to recruit participants, form classes, and implement the PSS Training Program for MHPSS service providers throughout Iraq.
- Collaboratively work with the program manager and the other MHPSS instructors in the assessment and upgrading of the PSS Training Program curriculum
- Adapt the PSS Training Program curriculum to continually improve the program and meet the needs of students enrolled in the program.
- Facilitate delivery of the PSS Training Program.
- Conduct regular assessment of participant learning as outlined in the PSS Training Program curriculum
- Build a network of qualified guest instructors and coordinate their delivery of training for the program
- Contribute to the development of strategy to strengthen and expand the program.
- Implement monitoring and evaluation procedures to ensure the effectiveness of the program.
- Contribute to donor reporting by providing data and information on the trainings implemented
Psychosocial Support Services (PSS) Training Program Supervision
- Provide direct on the job coaching/supervision and remote supervision (as required) to the PSS training participants
- Assist PSS training participants in applying core competencies as outlined in the learning agreement of the PSS training program
- Support PSS training participants to develop knowledge, skills to practice and work with human diversity within the context of cultural reality
- Assume primary responsibility for evaluating and grading the competencies and skills of the PSS training participants
- Support the PSS training participants in the provision of high quality services by upholding values, ethics and foundational principles in the context of MHPSS service delivery in KRI and Iraq
Center for Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services
- Assist in designing and implementing workshops aimed at strengthening the skills of MHPSS service providers and other professionals working with survivors of trauma in Iraq.
- Represent SEED and the Center for MHPSS at meetings.
- Develop and monitor the Center for MHPSS’s networking and communication among the graduates of the PSS Training Program.
- Other tasks, as assigned by the Program Manager, Education and Training Programs.
- Degree in social work, psychology, international development or other related field desired; Master’s Degree, a plus.
- At least three years of experience implementing MHPSS programming.
- Experience in Iraq and/or Kurdistan Region a plus.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- High standard of spoken and written English, with Arabic and/or Kurdish a plus.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
Please e-mail the following in one PDF to email@example.com using “MHPSS Instructor” and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.