MHPSS Technical Advisor
Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to project sites across Kurdistan
Type of Position
Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Expatriate Compensation Package includes relocation expenses and housing and local transportation allowances
About SEED Foundation
SEED Foundation is a locally registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on three key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-development programs; and 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen rights and protections for vulnerable groups and individuals through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy.
Role of the MHPSS Technical Advisor
The MHPSS Advisor will provide technical expertise and leadership to support SEED’s comprehensive MHPSS services, for vulnerable and conflict-affected Iraqis including survivors of torture, trafficking (TIP), and gender-based violence (GBV), persons with disabilities and members of minority religious and ethnic communities. The MHPSS Advisor will develop policies, guidance, interventions and protocols; identify capacity building needs and revise and deliver training accordingly; and will manage SEED’s MHPSS Technical Coordinators. The MHPSS TA may also work with Senior psychologists, Psychologists, PSS Coordinators, Service Delivery Coordinators and other MHPSS staff to ensure high standards of MHPSS. The MHPSS TA will also work collaboratively with the PSS and Community Development Manager to ensure quality based PSS programming in all locations. The MHPSS Advisor will also act as a resource for all existing programs and in designing new programs. In addition, the MHPSS Advisor will lead, monitor, and implement SEED’s staff care plan. The MHPSS TA will report to the Service Delivery Department Manager, and work closely with the GBV, MHPSS, CM and CP Technical Advisors, and Program Directors and Program Managers across SEED. The MHPSS TA is based in Erbil but is expected to make monthly visits to other Service Delivery Locations including Duhok and Sulaymaniye.
Supervision and capacity building of MHPSS staff (40%)
- Evaluate MHPSS staff competencies and identify capacity building needs
- Develop and deliver, or organize, training accordingly
- Provide technical supervision, individual and group, to MHPSS Technical Coordinators
- Build the capacity of MHPSS Technical Coordinators through regular supervision, meetings, guidance, feedback, and coaching
- Identify new and adapted specialized MH interventions and work with MHPSS Technical Coordinators in training and implementation of interventions
- Ensure qualitative implementation of MHPSS interventions (such as TSR) and that technical approaches are implemented as envisioned
- Enhance existing supervision mechanisms, ensuring MHPSS staff receive appropriate technical guidance and supervision
- Strengthen SEED’s MHPSS staff capacity to provide quality services for children, youth, parents and families
- Contribute to staff development plans and performance appraisals
Technical leadership and policy work (40%)
- Lead and support on the development, review and implementation of policies, tools, interventions, protocols, processes, materials and guidance for MHPSS services
- Develop clear guidance and standards for MHPSS services consistent with international best practice and identify, share and adapt resources and materials
- Guiding and including the MHPSS Technical Coordinators into drating, leading, training on MHPSS policy making
- Ensure that a trauma-informed, survivor-centered approach is applied to all programming and services provided to clients and beneficiaries, including mental health, case management, legal assistance, and psychosocial support.
- Create MHPSS strategies, design interventions and modules, develop messaging, and outreach plans
- Oversee implementation of all MHPSS activities and ensure they are consistent with SEED objectives and strategies, adjusting as appropriate
- Assess quality of programming and quality of services and make recommendations to strengthen programming and quality of services
- In collaboration with SEED’s Service DeliveryDepartment and Program Managers, refine specialized mental health approaches and standards for SEED including with regard to psychological support and psychotherapy for individuals, groups, and families
- Participate in program design and development, and implementation of quality MH, PSS, Case Management and Legal Assistance services
- Lead, monitor, evaluate, revise and implement SEED’s staff well-being program
- Participate in the recruitment of MHPSS staff
Monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (10%)
- Ensure all MHPSS activities are properly monitored, documented, evaluated, and reported on
- Support program M&E, including development of tools, to ensure that M&E systems provide adequate feedback on MHPSS interventions
- Make recommendations for program development and course correction
- Contribute to quality reporting
Coordination and Organizational Representation (10%)
- Represent SEED in cluster and working group meetings, with KRG and with donors
- Develop strategic partnerships and work closely with partners
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Provide training for external audiences, as requested, including SEED’s Center for MHPSS
- Provide content and input on communications materials including website, promotional materials, and social media, and ensure it complies with SEED’s storytelling policy.
- Master’s degree in psychology, clinical social work, or other mental health fields.
- Two years of MHPSS Programming experience in international settings including providing MHPSS to children and caregivers; Iraq experience preferred.
- Experience providing technical supervision to psychologists in similar contexts.
- Proven experience in designing and delivering capacity-building activities, with remote capacity building and follow-up is an advantage.
- Experience in providing MHPSS services to shelter/safe house residents, anti TIP programming,
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Experience leading and designing staff wellbeing programs.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- Strong ability to work independently.
- High standard of spoken and written English; Arabic and/or Kurdish desirable.
- Good computer skills, experience with Google Drive
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Salary, benefits, and allowances dependent on skills and qualifications.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this LINK.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.