Job Title: Program Director (Protection and GBV)
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to Dohuk, Sulaimaniyah and other project sites across KRI
Type of position: Employment contract, full time – 40 hours per week
Length of Contract: 1 year
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits including relocation expenses and housing allowance.
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation (SEED) is a registered charity organization in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED works with survivors of violence and conflict in the KRI to help them rebuild their lives, including survivors of gender based violence (GBV), trafficking, torture, internally displaced Iraqis, refugees, members of religious and ethnic minority groups, and other vulnerable people. SEED provides comprehensive services for survivors including case management, mental health and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities. SEED also works to improve the skills of local psychologists and other service providers through education, training and supervision programs to better equip them to help individuals and communities heal. SEED works with local institutions and others to promote laws, policies and procedures that promote human rights and the protection of the most vulnerable. Our work reflects international best practices and expertise, combined with local know-how and understanding.
Role of the Program Director:
We are seeking to hire an international Program Director as a senior leader with SEED to manage an international grant program to protect, empower and support the recovery of vulnerable and conflict-affected people in Iraq through the provision of high quality, comprehensive protection and GBV services and improve protections and reduce GBV through awareness-raising, advocacy and increased local government capacity. The Program Director will be responsible for the successful attainment of goals, objectives and targets, ensuring the highest standards of quality. The Program Director will plan, implement and evaluate the program; oversee all staff and activities; manage the budget; and carry out reporting and donor liaison.
The Program Director will report to President of the organization and work collaboratively with other Program Directors, Program Managers, and the MHPSS Technical Unit. The Program Director will be based in Erbil with frequent travel to Dohuk and Sulaimania. The successful candidate will be an experienced program manager with prior experience in protection and GBV programming. We are looking for a compassionate, mature, responsible, confident, dynamic and independent person who is able to lead development, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation. We are looking for someone who is familiar with working in a matrixed organization with program managers, a technical unit, and multiple field locations.
Program Management and Leadership (60%)
- Lead responsibility for programmatic, technical and administrative management of the program including planning, implementation, quality assurance, monitoring and documentation of results.
- Provide strategic direction and technical advice on program development and implementation with a focus on the protection and empowerment of vulnerable groups.
- Oversee program planning and implementation to ensure program goals, objectives and targets are met, undertaking course correction as appropriate.
- Develop work plans, oversee implementation and track progress.
- Supervise, train and build capacity of program staff.
- Identify capacity building needs and devise development plans for all staff members.
- Conduct appraisals and provide regular, constructive feedback to staff members.
- Ensure that program procurement is in line with SEED’s policies and donor regulations.
- Oversee program budget to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Conduct regular budget monitoring to ensure program spending is on track.
Protection and GBV Services (15%)
- Working closely with other management personnel and the MHPSS Technical Unit, ensure implementation of effective strategies to provide high quality, comprehensive protection and GBV services.
- Working closely with other management personnel and the MHPSS Technical Unit, ensure implementation of effective strategies to improve protections and reduce GBV through awareness-raising, advocacy and increased local government capacity.
- Develop practices and policies and ensure that these are adhered to.
- Ensure the ethical management of data, ensuring that data collection informs improved service delivery.
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) (15%)
- Working closely with the M&E Manager, devise program M&E plan.
- Ensure that M&E systems provide adequate feedback to inform program development and course correction as necessary.
- Ensure that all reporting requirements are met on time, and that reports are of a high quality.
Coordination and Organizational Representation (10%)
- Represent SEED with donor, Kurdistan Regional Government, UN, and other NGOs.
- Develop strategic partnerships and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, camp managers, community leaders, and other relevant actors.
- Work closely with program partners.
- Degree in social work, psychology, international development or other related field desired; Master’s Degree, a plus.
- At least five years of NGO senior program management experience in international settings including project design, implementation, budget management, staff management, and M&E.
- At least three years of experience implementing MHPSS and GBV programming.
- Experience implementing large donor-funded international development and/or humanitarian assistance programs.
- Experience in Iraq and/or Kurdistan Region a plus.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- High standard of spoken and written English, with Arabic and/or Kurdish a plus.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
Please e-mail the following in one PDF to email@example.com using “Program Director – Protection and GBV” and Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.