Job Title: Senior Lawyer
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with regular travel to other areas of KRI.
Type of position: Employment Contract
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Local compensation package.
About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking, including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, after care services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the Senior Lawyer:
The Senior Lawyer will provide legal counselling and representation to clients who have experienced or are at risk of experiencing a violation of their human rights, including survivors of torture, trafficking, and GBV. The Senior Lawyer position is a full-time position based in Duhok, and will supervise other lawyers working in the SEED Duhok office. The position will report to the Director of Duhok Programs.
Deliver quality legal services – 50%
- Provide legal advice, assistance, and representation to clients, including those in detention, to enable them to assert their rights on a broad range of issues including criminal law, civil law, personal status and immigration.
- Advocate with local authorities, including criminal justice system actors, to ensure that the rights of clients are upheld and protected.
- Increase awareness of rights among at-risk communities including on processes such as residency permits, registration procedures and obtaining birth certificates.
- Proactively identify legal issues at the earliest opportunity and develop and implement strategies to address them.
- Use a range of persuasion and influencing skills to secure strategic outcomes that are compliant with the law.
- Use high level legal competencies to develop and implement innovative solutions to legal problems.
- Provide high quality, targeted and accessible legal advice across a range of practice areas and work with colleagues across SEED in order to secure and deliver effective solutions to legal issues.
- Taking a proactive approach to risk management, ensuring risks and issues are identified, addressed and reported and, where appropriate, escalated.
- Work closely with case managers and psychologists to ensure that clients’ legal needs are met.
- Make internal and external referrals for clients to ensure their access to other services.
- Maintain client confidentiality and accurate records of cases.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Supervision and Management – 40%
- The Senior Lawyer will manage and supervise the work of SEED’s Duhok lawyers and provide legal advice and technical guidance
- Undertake performance appraisals of supervised lawyers, and create work plans.
- Provide legal capacity building to SEED Duhok lawyers and other staff to enable them to understand the legal context for SEEDs work, raise awareness of legal issues, and to make best use of legal advice.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the practice and procedures of the Legal team and cooperate with SEED’s legal adviser’s and lawyers in Erbil.
Monitoring and Evaluation – 10%
- Assist in the supervision and monitoring of legal services, as well as maintaining accurate records in accordance with MEAL’s data gathering and contribute to quality reporting.
- Support the collection and accuracy of legal data as requested.
- Support the tracking of progress towards legal targets.
- A law degree from a recognized university
- Membership of the Kurdistan Bar Association and permission to work in the KRI.
- A minimum of six years of legal practice, including in court.
- At least 3 years experience working with an NGO.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and team-building skills.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- High standard of spoken and written Arabic and Kurdish, with English a plus.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights.
- High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Senior Lawyer” as the subject of your email.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.