Job Title: Social Work Advisor
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with frequent travel to project sites across Kurdistan
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Expatriate Compensation Package includes relocation expenses and housing and local transportation allowances
About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking, including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, aftercare services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the Social Work Advisor: The Social Work Advisor will provide technical expertise and leadership to support SEED’s comprehensive case management services for vulnerable and conflict-affected Iraqis including survivors of torture, trafficking, and gender-based violence (GBV), persons with disabilities and members of minority religious and ethnic communities. The Social Work Advisor will develop policies, guidance, and protocols; identify capacity building needs and revise and deliver training accordingly; and provide technical supervision to SEED’s Service Delivery Coordinators to ensure high standards of case management. The Social Worker Advisor will also be a focal point in Duhok for Community MHPSS activities in SEED´s centers and work closely with the PSS Technical Advisor and Community Coordinators. The Social Work Advisor will also act as a resource for all existing programs and in designing new programs. The Social Work Advisor will report to the TU Director and work collaboratively with Program Directors and Program Managers across SEED.
Technical Leadership (30%)
- Assess staff capacity and identify gaps
- Assess quality of programming and make recommendations to strengthen programming
- Working closely with technical unit and management, develop and deliver training on case management for service providers
- Provide technical guidance on case management to service delivery staff
- Provide input into program design and implementation
- Develop clear guidance and standards for case management consistent with international best practice
- Develop case management tools, protocols, processes, and policies and adapt resources and materials
- Provide input on safe and ethical data collection and storage
- Support the development of psychosocial, psychoeducation and community engagement activities
Capacity Building and Technical Supervision of Service Delivery Coordinators (30%)
- Evaluate staff competencies and identify capacity building needs
- Develop and deliver, or organize, training accordingly
- Provide intensive supervision on cases, including case conferences
- Contribute to staff development plans and performance appraisals
Community MHPSS Activities Support (20%)
- Provide technical support for community MHPSS activities in coordination with the PSS Technical Advisor
- Support implementation of community MHPSS activities with Service Delivery Coordinators
- Contribute to the development of community MHPSS activities and programs in line with international best practices
Monitoring and Evaluation (10%)
- Support program M&E, including the development of tools, to ensure that M&E
- systems provide adequate feedback
- Make recommendations for program development and course correction
- Support quality reporting
Coordination and Organizational Representation (10%)
- Represent SEED in Cluster and Working Group meetings, with KRG and with donors
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Provide training for external audiences, as requested
- Provide content and input on communications materials including website, promotional materials, and social media, and ensure it complies with SEED’s storytelling policy
- Master’s degree in social work.
- Three years+ experience as a social worker
- Two years overseeing MHPSS Programming in international settings; Iraq experience preferred.
- Strong experience in supervising case management and oversight to MHPSS service providers.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to gain trust and build relationships.
- Good diplomatic and persuasion skills.
- Strong ability to work independently
- High standard of spoken and written English. Arabic and/or Kurdish desirable.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Salary, benefits, and allowances dependent on skills and qualifications.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com using “Social Work Advisor” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.