Job Title: STEPS Center Overnight Caretaker
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI),
Type of position: Full time- 42 Hours per week
NOTE REGARDING LOCATION AND HOURS:
This position will be based at the shelter serving survivors of trafficking and those at-risk, which requires overnight coverage from a caretaker 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, meaning the caretaker will be required to work in shifts that includes weekends and holidays, averaging 40-42 hours per week. The shifts will be arranged to provide full cover for the night with each of the caretakers expected to work in alternate shifts.
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Local Compensation Package will apply: includes relocation expenses and housing and local transportation allowances
About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking, including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, aftercare services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the Job title:
The Overnight Caretaker is responsible to provide services to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of trafficking and those at-risk through day-to-day general care and basic support services. The caretaker as a collaborative supporter and a member of the Shelter team with the objective to support the residents with all of their needs while establishing and maintaining an environment for clients that is consistent with the values and mission of the Shelter. He/She will work with shelter residents to communicate or respond where necessary to their emerging needs through collaboration with the Case Managers, Nurse, Shelter Manager and Administrative Coordinator. Provide specific information to the team on any aspects that would affect the wellbeing of the residents. The Caretaker shall be expected to provide night coverage and must be willing and interested to work with team members and residents of different religious, ethnic, cultural, educational, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Provides consistent coverage for assigned shifts, working within the team and independently to complete all shift tasks.
- Monitors and supervises shelter and client affairs, assists clients of the shelter with needs and questions and maintains shelter order in accordance with STEPS Center Shelter policies.
- Enforces shelter policies and follows staff policies and procedures.
- Performs general administrative functions during their shifts and provides appropriate information and referrals for those who need other resources.
- Monitors the activities of clients to ensure the safety of residents.
- Helps clients resolve any issues as they may arise.
- Helps volunteers with questions or issues when necessary.
- Provides crisis intervention in a timely manner including updating the other team members on observations made on any resident.
- Maintains written and oral communication of incidents in accordance with policies.
- Reports any problems to the Shelter Manager, Administration Coordinator, Service Delivery Coordinator or Case Managers.
- Attends staff meetings and participates in activities designated by the Shelter Manager.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Shelter Manager.
Qualifications, Experience and Abilities
- As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of SEED Foundation and be driven by the mission of the organization.
- Minimum High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Social sciences preferred.
- Experience working with survivors of violence for 2+ years
- Experience working within a shelter serving survivors of violence or vulnerable individuals preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in working with clients.
- Ability and willingness to perform light housekeeping
- Ability to maintain a quality workplace in a diverse, fast-paced, stressful and changing environment.
- Ability to work independently or in a team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, self-motivation, organization, and resourcefulness while maintaining a
- reputation through proven action of being a team and client-oriented and willing to assist where/when needed.
- Ability to negotiate different personalities and work under competing priorities.
- Ability to assess emergency situations and respond effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in the English language.
- Must be prompt and dependable.
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com Indicating “STEPS Center Overnight Caretaker” as the subject of your email.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.