Job Title: Technical Unit Director
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with regular travel to other areas of KRI.
Type of position: Employment contract, full time
Length of Contract: 12 months
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Expatriate Compensation Package: includes relocation expenses and housing and local transportation allowances
About SEED Foundation: SEED is a locally registered NGO in Kurdistan Region of Iraq, whose mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED provides comprehensive services, integrating mental health, case management, legal and protection services, with psychosocial support activities to protect and empower survivors, and improve individual, family, and community well-being. SEED supports women, men, boys, and girls who are survivors of violence and other rights abuses, including survivors of conflict, gender-based violence (GBV), trafficking, torture, human rights violations, including internally displaced, refugees, foreign citizens, and host community. Through our Center for MHPSS, SEED strengthens skills of service providers and government actors through education, training and capacity building to better support vulnerable individuals and communities. SEED promotes policy, institutional, regulatory, practice, and social change to strengthen human rights, protections, and services for vulnerable individuals and groups. SEED combats human trafficking through services for survivors and those at risk including shelter protection; strengthens institutional protections through technical assistance, training, public awareness, and advocacy. SEED’s work reflects international best practices and expertise combined with local experience.
Role of the Technical Unit Director:
The technical Director to provide the technical leadership, management, and oversight of SEED’s MHPSS Technical Unit. The Technical Unit is dedicated to ensuring the highest standards of quality across SEED’s portfolio of programming and to helping to strengthen MHPSS capacity throughout the region. Specifically, the unit will work to: 1) ensure provision of high quality MHPSS services, including case management services, mental health services, and psychosocial support (PSS) activities, through intervention and policy development, staff capacity-building and support, and monitoring and evaluation; 2) advance MHPSS standards and services in KRI through external trainings, development of quality standards, and advocacy work; and, 3) represent SEED for external audiences, including humanitarian, academic, government, and media sectors.
The Technical Unit consists of MHPSS technical and M&E professionals, and as such will draw upon local/national, regional and international expertise in clinical psychology, clinical social work, and monitoring and evaluation, and a wide range of experience serving vulnerable communities and those affected by and at risk of violence, conflict, and exploitation. In all areas, the Technical Unit will work to adapt international best practice to the local context and design evidence-based approaches to help protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors, and strengthen the capacity of service providers.
The Director of the MHPSS Technical Unit will manage the Mental Health, Case Management, and PSS Technical Advisors, the Senior M&E Manager, and the M&E Manager and will report directly to the President.
Ensuring Quality of SEED’s MHPSS client services (40%)
- Provide senior technical leadership of MHPSS service provision at SEED.
- Lead the development of appropriate policies, procedures and guidance for staff on SEED’s MHPSS approaches, train staff appropriately, and ensure that all guidelines and approaches are being implemented.
- Support the development of MHPSS programming, including relevant program materials and tools.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to MHPSS psychologists and case managers to ensure key competencies and quality standards in line with SEED’s approach, best practices and the IASC MHPSS guidelines.
- Support staff to provide integrated mental health and comprehensive case management and psychosocial support to vulnerable, conflict-affected individuals and families and complete appropriate case documentation, in coordination with SEED’s Mental Health Technical Advisor, and relevant Program management.
- Train staff on MHPSS, GBV and protection, case management, mental health services and PSS.
- Support the conduct of MHPSS needs assessments among the affected populations, in line with guidance and best practice.
- Support the development of referral pathways internal to organization and with external service providers to strengthen links to available services for MHPSS and protection more generally, including regularly updating service directories/mappings.
- Lead the development of appropriate promotional materials on SEED’s MHPSS approaches to build awareness of services and promote key messages and results.
- Provide strategic direction and technical advice on program development and implementation with a focus on delivering high quality mental health, case management and psychosocial support services to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations.
- Lead in the implementation of strategies to meet the needs of survivors and strengthen support mechanisms.
- Lead in the development of SEED’s Standard of Care to support survivors with MHPSS Services and promote its adoption/rollout.
- Ensure the ethical management of case data and systems, ensuring that data collection informs improved service delivery.
Coordination and Organizational Representation (25%)
- Represent SEED in external coordination meetings including the working groups.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local and international organizations, and key government interlocutors
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Work closely with program partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) (20%)
- Working closely with the Senior M&E Manager and senior management, strengthen M&E systems, including developing tools and systems to ensure that SEED is using the most effective M&E systems and methods.
- Develop M&E guidance and train staff.
- Ensure that M&E systems provide adequate feedback to inform program development and course corrections as necessary.
Staff Management (15%)
- Develop or contribute to SEED’s Training and Capacity Building Plan for MHPSS providers, and others, ensuring that all staff have a deep understanding of SEED’s services and responsibilities; ensure that plan is carried out and updated appropriately.
- Conduct on-the-job supervision and training assessments to evaluate key competencies and conduct training.
- Supervise, train and build capacity of program staff.
- Devises or contribute to individual development plans for staff.
- Provide regular, constructive feedback to staff members.
- Master’s degree in psychology, social work or other closely related area
- At least five years of experience in similar roles in challenging post-conflict settings
- At least three years of experience implementing MHPSS and Advocacy programming.
- Administrative and leadership experience; experience providing supervision and oversight to service providers strongly preferred
- Strong belief in human rights and equality
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and persuasion skills
- Strong ability to work independently, including ability to multitask, prioritize competing tasks, and manage time effectively
- High standard of spoken and written English; Kurdish and/or Arabic a plus
- Good computer skills, including the use of email and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Technical Unit Director ” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.