Job Title: Translator/Interpreter
Location: Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (KRI), with occasional travel to other areas of KRI.
Type of position: Employment contract/ Full time
Length of Contract: one year
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Local Compensation Package
About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI). SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking in persons (TIP) including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, after care services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the Interpreter/Translator
We are seeking to hire a qualified, experienced, and dynamic individual to provide written and oral interpretation and translation services in Arabic, English, and Kurdish. Candidates will largely be focused on assisting SEED’s training programs. The successful candidate will have excellent command of all three languages Written translations will be done in an office setting and oral translations will be done whenever needed across SEED’s office locations.
We are seeking the candidate to start in October 2020 in Erbil on a 12-month contract.
- Interpret and translate written and oral communications for formal letters, PR materials, social media posts, and other communications pieces
- Translate program documents (operational and technical), as assigned
- Provide documents in correct grammatical format as a well-expressed final version of the translated text, usually as a word-processed document
- Provide oral translation/interpretation support for training courses, meetings, and events
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials
- Provide administrative (archiving, filing, printing, scanning etc.) support to the Program Officers, and others as assigned
- Excellent verbal and writing language abilities in English, Kurdish, and Arabic
- At least three years relevant experience; international NGO or interpretation in a training/classroom setting, a plus
- Experience working with simultaneous interpretation equipment
- Knowledge of technical terms within the field of mental health and psychosocial support services (MHPSS) or humanitarian work, a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or other relevant area
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work under pressure
- Send one PDF with your cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Translator/Interpreter” as the subject of your e-mail.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.